Re: [Linking-open-data] [ANN] MOAT

Alexandre Passant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Jan 21, 2008 12:22 PM, Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote:
>
>> Alexandre Passant wrote:

>>> The problem here is that, again, the skos:subject range is a
>>> skos:Concept, which will not allow people to use existing URIs that
>>> are not defined as skos:Concept
>>>
>> Not sure I agree. It means that any URI you use in this way can be
>> inferred to also be a skos:Concept. It may not have been labelled as
>> such in the original source but that doesn't necessarily cause a
>> problem, open world assumption and all that.
>>

> I see what you mean, and it sounds ok theorically.
> But in that case, using a skos:Concept in the ontology but telling to
> users "use any URI you want" won't make sens I think. That's better to
> tell them "use an URI" with an rdf:Resource range imho.
> Moreover, some tools use domain / range of properties to filter
> queries (eg: in ontology-based forms).
> So using a skos:Concept may restrict the URIs to be retrieved.

Such a tool would be closing the world and thus not actually a semantic
web tool. If you want to force the object to be a URI the range would
have to be a typed literal. Having a range of rdfs:Resource people are
free to use anything, including b-nodes an literals. Personally I don't
see why "An abstract idea or notion; a unit of thought." (definition of
skos:Concept) is too restrictive. I think a tool doing inferencing can
safely deduct (and thus should be allowed to) that the object is an
abstract idea.

>> It *could* lead to a inconsistency if there are some conflicting axioms
>> but that seems somehow unlikely. Are there any specific examples of a
>> resource one might want to use as in this way where inferring they were
>> also a skos:Concept would lead to an inconsistency?
>>

> In case I have my own ontology with a main Class that is
> owl:disjointWith skos:Concept, because I explicitely do not want
> people to use broader / narrower links between instances of this
> class, it will fail.
> Ok, this is just an example, but this is the kind of use case I want to avoid.

Could you be more concretely what class would not be suitable for those
other skos-properties?

Cheers,
reto

--
Reto Bachmann-Gmür
Talis Information Limited

Find out more about Talis at www.talis.com
Shared InovationTM

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of Talis Information Ltd.