RE: Cool URIs, the Semantic Web and Everything

Richard,

Happy 2008. I agree that calling people mad is very poor - I did not
mean to imply that any individual was mad, most particularly not you, or
anyone else on this thread, and I apologise unreservedly if I caused
offence.

It seems to me that using URIs to refer to unique resources is analogous
to using database primary keys to refer to unique records - to break
this convention is an error which invalidates the specs and will lead to
unpredictable results. I think this is your view too - and if you still
think I am mistaken, I am inclined to think that you are right and I am
wrong. I bow to your expertise in this.

My point was a different one, and relates to how URIs are used to refer
to real world entities, such as the person "Michael". This touches on
another question by Henry Story, who asks what is the difference between
machines and people.

My view is that software systems are *models* of the real world, not
replicas. Software is useful to the extent that it is related to the
real world, and useless to the extent that it is not.  The "mad" idea is
not that we can use a unique key to refer to a software data item, but
that there must be a unique interpretation of this key in the real
world. (Eg, As many, many people have noted in the past, the name
"Michael" is unambiguous *within the context of this discussion*, and
that is good enough.)

I know this is an old, old argument, and I do NOT want to start a whole
new weary thread on the subject, I am just keeping the idea alive, in
the spirit of a christmas quiz :)

Respectfully yours,

Tim.