RE: Dataset vocabularies vs. interchange vocabularies

Thanks Xiaoshu, very helpful.
Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Xiaoshu Wang [mailto:wangxiao@musc.edu]
Sent: Monday, 1 December 2008 11:29 p.m.
To: Kevin Richards
Cc: public-lod@w3.org; Semantic Web
Subject: Re: Dataset vocabularies vs. interchange vocabularies

Kevin Richards wrote:
> This mention of owl:sameAs reminds me of the mention of the "sameAs issue", at ISWC, that has developed in the semantic web arena.
> I can imagine what this issue is, but am not 100% sure, so can anyone explain this issue to me?

I remember there is a discussion on one of the W3C's mailing list about
the ambiguity of "owl:sameAs" but couldn't remember where it is.  But I
can offer my own explanation.

Its cause is a very fundamental one because the current URI
specification is, in fact, syntactically incomplete.  With current URI
spec, the referential realm of URI is anything but URI.  (Of course, I
can mint another URI to denote another instance of a URI class, but then
there needs to be a standard way to find this information).

Thus, if a URI denotes a URI, the semantics of "a owl:sameAs b" would
mean that "a" is simply an syntactic alias of "b" and nothing-else.
But if a URI denotes a non-URI resource, "a owl:sameAs b" would imply
that a semantic alias.  That is: "a" is an syntactic alias of "b" PLUS
a's and b's representations collectively describe the meaning of "a/b".
To put it plainly, the second semantics implies an owl:import but the
first one does not because the representation of a URI is literally
itself but the representation of a resource requires dereference.  I
think, with the current URI specification, the owl:sameAs is for the
second semantics.  In this case, it is not as cheap as people think that
minting a URI first and later binding it with others using owl:sameAs.
If a's representation is not logically consistent with b's, then the
owl:sameAs leads to a null model.

What makes the issue complicated, however, is that the ambiguity of
owl:sameAs is not with the problem of OWL but that of URI.  The issue
also touched upon our conceptualization of URI, resource,
representation, information/document, and meaning.  I have discussed
this issue quite extensively in a manuscript that I have submitted to
WWW2009.  As a pending manuscript, I don't think that it is appropriate
to post it here.  But if anyone is interest in reading it, send me an email.

Xiaoshu