Re: freebase parallax: user interface for browsing graphs of data

Michiel Hildebrand wrote:
> Great stuff David!
> Your novel interface designs really bring up the strength of linked data.
>
> In /facet we also explored the idea of making cross relations from one
> set to another. Eyal Oren did a similar thing in browseRDF.
> We were both struggling with an interface design that made this
> functionality usable for end users.
> It looks like you just did that. The "connections from" menu does the
> trick very well. And it is very simple to use. I especially like the
> extended view were the properties are grouped by type.
>
> Of course it is not just that which I admire in this application. It
> works really smooth and intuitive too.
Hi Michiel,

Glad you like it! :) It is a really difficult concept to design UI for,
isn't it? I was struggling with it for several months, too, and my
earlier design mockups, e.g.,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/dfhuynh/research/ideas/nested-queries-in-faceted-browsing/page-05.png
were embarrassingly complicated. Now when I look at them again, I
actually don't know what I was trying to do then :)

David