Re: Why do you want to do that?

On Aug 12, 2008, at 1:56 AM, Richard H. McCullough wrote:

> I finally got a few minutes to read OWL Guide 3.1.3
> I read that section as supporting my position.  The word "context"
> is mentioned
> several times, with the implication that X ismem IndividualSet; in
> one context,
> and X ismem ClassSet; in a different context.

Dick--

I originally cited section 3.1.3 of the OWL Guide to answer a question
you posed in your original message:  why someone might want an
individual to also be a class.  Specifically:

"The wine ontology as it currently exists would require the ability to
treat classes as instances in order to support such an interpretation.
Note that OWL Full permits such expressivity, allowing us to treat an
instance of a wine variety simultaneously as a class whose instances
are bottles of wine."

and also

"Adding that the wine produced in the year 2000 is considered a
vintage poses a challenge, because we don't have the ability to
represent a subset of a given wine individual. This vintage is not a
new variety of wine, it is a special subset of the wine - that
produced in the year 2000. An option would be to use OWL Full and
treat the wine instances as classes with subclasses (subsets) denoting
vintages. "

Other examples (outside the OWL Guide) of why it can be useful to
treat an individual as a class (or vice-versa) can also be cited.
Perhaps you could clarify your position you think OWL Guide 3.1.3
supports?  It doesn't seem to support a position (if that's your
position) that no one would want to do that.

--Frank