Re: New Exif/RDF vocabulary

Kanzaki,

I have only now looked at it.  The tools look nice.

I have one comment about the modeling.

Looking at for example

  http://www.kanzaki.com/test/exif2rdf?u=http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/ixy30/SPL/IMG_0138.JPG

there is what seems to be an extra arc "exifdata" to a bnode labelled
"Exif Image File Data", and then the exposureTime is a property of the
exifdata, not of the original phototo.
The arc seems to be used to group the data in the file, but I would
find it more useful I think
to define the exposureTime as a property of the picture itself.

I like the modeling of  the various enumeration types I think make
sense, such as YCbCr vs sRGB etc.

I would be more inclined to model units using predicates. Instead of
(in N3)

             exif:focalPlaneResolutionUnit
                exif:inches;
             exif:focalPlaneXResolution
                "9846.15384615";
             exif:focalPlaneYResolution
                "9846.15384615";

I would be inclined to use

             exif:focalPlaneXResolution
                [ exif:inches "9846.15384615" ];
             exif:focalPlaneYResolution
                [ exif:inches "9846.15384615"];

You can the for example deduce what the exif:focalPlaneYResolution of
something is in meters without any contradictions.

             exif:focalPlaneXResolution
                [ exif:inches "9846.15384615" ; unit:m "250.0"];
             exif:focalPlaneYResolution
                [ exif:inches "9846.15384615"; unit:m "250.0"];

(Hmm .. in this example it looks as though the meters was probably the
original figure!)

or even

             exif:focalPlaneXResolution
                [ exif:inches 9846.15384615 ; unit:m 250.0];
             exif:focalPlaneYResolution
                [ exif:inches 9846.15384615 ; unit:m 250.0];

I made a simple suitable units ontology by the way at http://www.w3.org/2007/ont/unit

Should a group be standardizing the exif ontology, do people think?
How stable is the http://www.kanzaki.com/ns/exif namespace?
Would you like a w3.org namespace for it?

Keep up the good work!

Tim
______________________________
excerpt from the exit example mentioned above:

  <foaf:Image rdf:about="http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/ixy30/SPL/IMG_0138.JPG
">
   <dc:date>2003-01-18T16:07:30</dc:date>

<!-- Metadata from Exif section -->
   <make>Canon</make>
   <model>Canon IXY DIGITAL 30</model>

   <orientation rdf:resource="http://www.kanzaki.com/ns/exif#right-
top"/>
   <xResolution rdf:datatype="&xsd;decimal">180</xResolution>
   <yResolution rdf:datatype="&xsd;decimal">180</yResolution>
   <resolutionUnit rdf:resource="http://www.kanzaki.com/ns/
exif#inches"/>
   <dateTime>2003-01-18T16:07:30</dateTime>
   <yCbCrPositioning rdf:resource="http://www.kanzaki.com/ns/exif#centered
"/>
   <exif-info>

    <Exif_IFD rdfs:label='Exif Image File Data'>
     <exposureTime rdf:datatype="&xsd;decimal">0.0025</exposureTime>
     <fNumber rdf:datatype="&xsd;decimal">3.5</fNumber>
     <exifVersion>0220</exifVersion>

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/MM/interop.html