Re: What if an URI also is a URL

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 12.09.2007, 15:50 -0500 schrieb Edward Bryant:
> Just my 2 cents,

thx ;)

> but wouldn't you use http://my.blog.tld/ to refer to the blog and
> http://my.blog.tld/index... or http://my.blog.tld/?start=1 to refer to
> the blog's first page of ten posts?

Not in this case. My blog hoster does not serve anything easily
identifyable as "index.html" or such when you go to myblog.tld; You move
backwards along links that have the pattern of
.../?day=20070718 (<=indicating the date of the first post on the next
page),
so there's no .../?day=YYYYmmdd that would always be "the most recent".

(In fact, there are two undocumented strings you can put after the slash
that fool the system so it always serve the most recent posts, but this
sort of dirty hack cannot be the general solution to this problem)

> I would think that the URL http://www.example.com/ without more should
> never be used to refer to a specific page of a site, simply because
> its not specific enough and that a reference to a specific page as an
> information resource should not depend on which specific page a server
> responds to the base URL with ( e.g., index.html, index.php,
> index.php5, etc.)

So how would you refer to the document served when you type
www.flickr.com into your brosers address bar? You know, saying something
like "www.flickr.com isIndexPageOf www.flickr.com"? Dont try
www.flickr.com/index.html or thelike, the all return "Page not Found".

Even if you find out what the page is called - it's not obvious from a
users' perspective, so it's pretty hard to establish as a best practice
guideline... (And I'm not even bringing up the topic that flickr, the
service, is conceptually different from the collection of documents at
www.flickr.com)

Oskar