Re: Turtle - Terse RDF Triple Language updated

Harry,

On 6 Oct 2007, at 12:49, Harry Halpin wrote:

> So perhaps I just haven't had my morning coffee yet, but what 2
> triples
> should be generated in Henry's example? :Joe :aunt :Sally, :Sally :age
> 78?

Exactly. There is a desire to use the [ ] nesting syntax not just for
blank nodes, but also for URI-named nodes. Turtle doesn't make this
possible at the moment, hence the request for additional syntactic
sugar, the "is" keyword.

> If that's all you want, then run Turtle+entailment, right?

This misses the point. A Turtle author cannot force Turtle consumers
to run entailment.

> Regardless, as for features like "=" - yes, of course they are useful.
> However, I think the obvious thing to do is to keep Turtle and N3
> syntax
> separate, with N3 syntax being a superset of Turtle. So, keep Turtle 1
> to 1 with SPARQL, and then have N3 have things like "=" in it.

I think a derivation from SPARQL is warranted in this case, the
benefits outweigh the costs. The "is" keyword would remove an awkward
limitation from Turtle, and increase its appeal over N3, which at the
moment simply is a more convenient and more consistent RDF syntax
from an authoring point of view. I'm all in favor of a stable Turtle
spec, but don't see the point if it makes authoring of RDF harder.

(Another Turtle peeve: It forces me to sometimes write "[] a :Foo"
and sometimes "[ a :Foo ]", depending on wether the blank node is the
object of another statement. In N3, I can consistently use the second
form. I have a hard time understanding why this "feature" was
introduced in Turtle.)

Also note that Turtle and SPARQL already use divergent syntax for
identical features -- cf. declaration of prefixes and base URIs.

Richard