Re: homonym URIs (Re: What if an URI also is a URL)

Hi Sandro and Pat,

> My advice here is, I confess, not widely followed.  But I hear more and
> more people converging on the idea that this is both practical and
> likely to be sufficiently effective.

Sandro: Just to back your claim that more and more people are converging
with some hard facts:

Within the W3C SWEO Linking Open Data project, people are collaborating to
publish and interlink huge amounts of RDF data on the Web according to Tim's
Linked Data principles
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html

Currently, this collaborative effort has "specified the meaning" (if you
want to see it this way) of maybe 10 million URIs covering topics like
geographic locations, books, publications, music, .... The descriptions
altogether amount to a dataset of about one billion RDF triples.

Any of this 10 million URIs can be looked up over the HTTP protocol to
retrieve a description of its meaning.

Some example URIs from DBpedia (http://dbpedia.org/docs/) which forms part
of the Linking Open Data project:

URI denoting to the concept of Berlin as a town in Germany:

http://dbpedia.org/resource/Berlin

RDF description about Berlin, which you get by dereferencing the URI above
with the mime type application/rdf+xml

http://dbpedia.org/data/Berlin

Human-readabale HTML description about Berlin, which you get by
dereferencing the URI above with the mime type text/html

http://dbpedia.org/page/Berlin

As you can see, the meaning of the term is pretty clearly defined by putting
it into several SKOS categories, having several rdf:type statements about it
and describing in in 10 different natural languages.
All other 1 600 000 DBpedia terms are described in a similar way.

An overview about the other 8 million concepts with dereferencable URIs that
were created in the project is given in
http://linkeddata.org/documents/eswc2007-poster-linking-open-data.pdf
and on the project website
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData

> So when users paste that URI into their browser, they get the official
> documentation about it.

This behavior can be demonstrated with Semantic Web browsers like Tabulator
or DISCO or the OpenLink Data browser.

Just click on a link below to start exploring the meaning of terms using
DISCO.

The WWW 2006 conference
http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/rdf_browser/?browse_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de%2Fdblp%2Fresource%2Frecord%2Fconf%2Fwww%2F2006

The Tetris computer game
http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/rdf_browser/?browse_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FTetris

Tim Berners-Lee
http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/rdf_browser/?browse_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FPeople%2FBerners-Lee%2Fcard%23i

Concerning "practical and sufficently effictive", I liked a recent paper by
Google about their plans for the Web-of-Data.

"Web-scale Data Integration: You can only afford to Pay As You Go"
http://www-db.cs.wisc.edu/cidr/cidr2007/papers/cidr07p40.pdf

The basic argumentation line is that we don't need completely unambiguous
terms and schemata to provide usefull services to the end user. Even if the
answers are only approximate they will be usefull for the user. Google seams
to handle this by using uncertainty on all levels of their architecture
including information extraction, schema matching and query routing. At the
end, this uncertainty goes into their ranking algorithm and as the
experience from the Web shows, users are very happy with ranked approximate
results where high quality stuff tends to show up at the beginning of the
list.

Cheers

Chris

--