From: Tim Berners-Lee [mailto:timbl@w3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 2:31 PM
To: r.j.koppes
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org; Lynn, James (Software Escalations)
Subject: Re: What if an URI also is a URL

On 2007-06 -06, at 13:13, r.j.koppes wrote:

> Ok, herby a follow-up to the semantic-web list.
>
> To summarize:
>
> Me: suppose I am identified by http://www.example.com/mophor and there

> is also a webpage http://www.example.com/mophor...
>
> Tim: this is an error, by returning a 200 for the webpage, it is
> identified, so these are two different things. http://
> www.example.com/mophor#me would be ok
>
> James: but what about fragment identifiers?
>
> Tim: no problem, since the client strips off fragment identifiers, so
> accessing the web page http://www.example.com/mophor#me would identify

> http://www.example.com/mophor as a webpage by returning a 200 (this is

> my interpretation of what is said)

Woa.  Stop. No.   You can't access < http://www.example.com/
mophor#me> as it isn't a web page.
The function 'access web page' takes a URI with no hash.

The fact that the id http://www.example.com/mophor#me is used at all
indicates that  "http://www.example.com/mophor" identifies a document,
before you even think of access it.
Because the "foo#bar" means   "the thing identified by the local id
bar within foo" in the web architecture.

You can look up < http://www.example.com/mophor#me> which means, on the
CLIENT, stripping off the "#me"