Re: Can you query rdf:List easily? (WAS Re: update on vCard edits and The Compromise)

On 31/07/07, Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> I see absolutely no practical value to doing:
>
>         vcard:givenName ("John" "Paul")
>
> ... over:
>
>         vcard:givenName "John Paul"
>
> Garret disagrees.

Hmm,the former may be more useful with reasoners, the latter with
SPARQL. I'd lean to the latter too because it's also simpler.

> >> Two doesn't work.
> >
> > Name
> >     given-name
> >     family-name
> >     additional-name
> >     additional-name
> >
> > I don't see why not, the Name node is acting as a quasi-container.
>
> But the names are ordered. E.g. in my example above I presume the person
> in question would go by "John Paul" rather than "Paul John".
>
> >> Garret wants to allow something like the third approach.
> >
> > This seems unnecessary, multiple values are possible without there
> > being a container or collection.
>
> Indeed, but not if they're ordered.

I couldn't see any reference in the RFC to the order being
significant. We know it is in the real world, but given that there
doesn't appear to be a clean way of of representing it in RDF, and the
spec really isn't specific (!) I'd favour the least action route -
i.e. leave it unordered, rather than mandate an order (List) or define
a new syntax (space-separated).

> >> This discussion is all about resolving this question.
> >
> > I'd be tempted to make vCard/RDF follow vCard closely and use other
> > vocabs/structures where the modelling doesn't seem right.

I'll stick by that. There's nothing to prevent a non-vCard vocab
rdf:List or space-separated literal capturing that information if
necessary.

> > But anyhow I'd better duck out - I still can't face reading the dozens
> > of earlier posts...

...ok, maybe I'm now up to speed (sorry :-)

Cheers,
Danny.

--

http://dannyayers.com