Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

Hey Jeremy,

On 7/24/07, Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com> wrote:
> Mark Baker wrote:
>  > Any of them, it doesn't matter for the purposes of my argument.  So if
>  > there's eight URIs in total, I claim that none of them directly
>  > identify the same resource.
>
> Are you in essence pointing to underlying philosophical myths that we
> use in everyday reasoning.

I don't think so.  I'm an engineer by training, not a philosopher.

>  From an engineering point of view we probably want to avoid such
> issues, which may involve following 'common sense' despite some
> plausible reservations, and I feel that in general, Chris Bizer's
> approach does this effectively.

I haven't looked at Chris' approach beyond what was mentioned in the
post that began this thread.  But I stand by the argument I've made.
So if that argument conflicts with his approach, then I suggest his
approach is not as well aligned with Web architecture as it could be.

Let's try and keep this discussion concrete.  If you answered in the
affirmative to Chris' first question about whether the URIs could be
considered aliases, perhaps you (or anybody else) could explain to me
how that can be so when there exist resources which cannot be
indirectly identified by all of them.

Mark.