Re: RDF property templating

On Wed Jul 18, 2007 at 05:25:00PM +0200, Jérôme Mainka wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I try to specify some kind of templating in RDF. My goal is to compose the
> value of a property from other properties. Here is an example :

this sounds more like 'computed values' than templating. you might want to check out cells (Lisp), google for cells-gtk. you can surely do some fantastic things compiling that with Wilbur. Wilbur is also fairly advanced in its own right, and if i recall is geared more towards these sort of things than most RDF frameworks which tend to just offer classes for the basic structures

> My first attempt was to write a SPARQL rules like this :

i'd definitely check out something besides sparql. something where the triples are efficiently exposed in a language and you have easy feedback into the model. (ie, no 'stored procedures' in sparql, rather the indexing/querying substructures of the sparql engine are available to you to play with)

there are some pdfs on stored procedures in sparql, and also a DSL geared towards rdf models:

http://ripple.projects.semwebcentral.org/

> But this kind of construction doesn't work with a partial knowledge. In my
> example, if :prop2 is missing, the premises aren't satisfied.

there is OPTIONAL in SPARQL. i cou ldnt get OPTIONAL working with CONSTRUCT in redland, or find much specifics on whats supposed to happen in that case in the spec on w3.org..

> Am I pushing RDF too far?

no

> Should I modify my model?

maybe

> Thank you for your suggestions.
thanks for your curiosity, report back your progress on computed properties, if you dont mind!