Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and LinkedData

Hi,

thanks a lot to everybody who helped answering my questions!

My take-aways from the answers so far are:

Question 1: According to the terminology of the Architecture of the
WWW
document [4] are all these URIs aliases for the same non-information
resource (our current view) or are they referring to different
resources?

Dan:
> They are aliases: the URI owners say so and nothing in webarch
> says otherwise.

Thanks a lot for reassuring us on this. This was critical for the
tutorial.

Alan:
This is a question of what the publishers of those URI's say they mean
denote by those URIs, or alternatively, what a community of users
agrees these
URIs shall denote.

This nicely corresponds to Dan's answer to question 3 :-)

Question 2: What would be the correct Web Architecture term to refer
to this concept?
Or is such a term missing?

Dan:
> I don't think the TAG has established a term for that.

Bernard:
>Is not such information called a "Description", with a "D" like in
>RDF?

Yes, sometimes one gets confused by all this 303 redirecting and
content-negotiation.
In the end it is just a description of a non-information resource
(which is retrieved through some HTTP magic ;-)

Question 3: Is it correct to use owl:sameAs [6] to state that
http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i and
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Tim_Berners-Lee refer to the same thing as
it is done in Tim's profile?

Dan:
> It's correct because Tim says it's correct, and he owns that name.

I like this answer as it clearly points at the Semantic Web being a
social system where information providers express their opinions which
can be right or wrong. Tim is stating that he thinks that both URIs
refer to the same non-information resource. It is now up to the
information consumer to decide if he likes to believe this statement
or not.

Bernard:
> To put together the following URIs, you have set rules, or whatever
> heuristics, to discover that two URIs are "aliases" of the same
> non-information resource. And seems to me that those
> rules/heuristics
> should be exposed explicitly. We are in the Linking Open Data
> process.
> The data are open, so should be the rules used to link them. Open
> means
> the rules are explicit and exposed, so that anyone can reproduce
> their
> behaviour, and accept or not to play by those rules.

Yes, as in Dan's answer it comes down to the information consumer
believing the owl:sameAs statements or not.
Which leads us to the classic Semantic Web trust (or the term I like
better: information quality) problem. Making the rules explicit would
be helpful for allowing the information consumer to decide whether to
believe the statement or not.  Having this deployed as a best practice
for information providers is way of in my opinion. But maybe another
reason why RIF could be interesting ;-)

Thanks again :-)

Cheers

Chris

P.S. We hope to be able to circulate the first version of our tutorial
next week.

--
Chris Bizer
Freie Universität Berlin