Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 14:43 +0200, Chris Bizer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Richard Cyganiak, Tom Heath and me are currently writing a tutorial on how
> to publish Linked Data [1] on the Web and ran into some terminology
> questions concerning Web Architecture.
>
> Here is the problem statement together with an example: Within the Linking
> Open Data community project [2] different data sources (URI owners) publish
> information about Tim Berners-Lee using different HTTP URIs:
>
> 1. DBpedia: http://dbpedia.org/resource/Tim_Berners-Lee
> 2. Hannover DBLP Server:
> http://dblp.l3s.de/d2r/resource/authors/Tim_Berners-Lee
> 3. Berlin DBLP Server:
> http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/dblp/resource/person/100007
> 4. RDF Book Mashup:
> http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bookmashup/persons/Tim+Berners-Lee
>
> The first 3 data sources follow the W3C TAG "Dereferencing HTTP URIs"
> finding [3]

draft, in progress...

>  and redirect via HTTP 303 to documents describing Tim
> Berners-Lee when the URIs are dereferenced over the Web. Therefore, the URIs
> identify Tim Berners-Lee as a non-information resource.

Rather: therefore the do not claim that these URIs
identify information resources.

The lack of a claim is very different from the negation of a claim.

>  This redirect also
> supports HTTP content negotiation and leads to HTML as well as RDF
> descriptions of Tim.
>
> 5. Tim also publishes a FOAF profile in which he assigns the URI
> http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i to himself.
>
> Question 1: According to the terminology of the Architecture of the WWW
> document [4] are all these URIs aliases for the same non-information
> resource (our current view) or are they referring to different resources?

They are aliases: the URI owners say so and nothing in webarch
says otherwise.

> Does the TAG finding "On Linking Alternative Representations To Enable
> Discovery And Publishing " [5] about generic and specific resources apply
> here, meaning that the URIs 1,2,3,5 refer to different specific
> non-information resources that are related to one generic non-information
> resource?

No, I don't think so.

The generic resource finding is mostly about information resources, I
think.

> Question 2: When the URIs are dreferenced they provide quite different
> information about Tim, which reflects the knowledge and the opinion of the
> specific URI owner about him. Within our tutorial we need to talk about this
> information and therefore need a term to refer to a concept that can be
> described as "information provided by a specific URI owner about a
> non-information resource", for example Tim. Depending on the answer to
> question 1, what would be the correct Web Architecture term to refer to this
> concept? Or is such a term missing?

I don't think the TAG has established a term for that.

(It sounds a bit like log:semantics from N3, but I'm not quite sure
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/doc/Reach )

> Question 3: Depending on the answer to question 1, is it correct to use
> owl:sameAs [6] to state that http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i and
> http://dbpedia.org/resource/Tim_Berners-Lee refer to the same thing as it is
> done in Tim's profile.

Yes...

That's sort of a circular question. It's correct because Tim says
it's correct, and he owns that name.