Re: EDI = Web3.0 driving MDA?

Hi Danny,

Well said, thanks!

One of the areas that we (the ODM development team) need to thank HP
Labs for is the contribution that Jeremy Carroll and Dave Reynolds in
particular made to the specification. They, along with Pat Hayes,
assisted us in ensuring that the hooks for "fitting the RDF and OWL
metamodels to the web" were provided.  As a consequence, there is a
discussion in the RDF metamodel section of the document that talks about
RDF graphs that span documents, documents containing multiple graphs,
and so forth that has proven to be very helpful to a number of folks.

The ODM is really only a first step -- it provides a consistent way for
us to take software and models developed (or reverse engineered) in UML
and MOF (the Meta-Object Facility)/XMI (XML Metadata Interchange, or the
XML representation for MOF) and to use them as starting points for RDF
vocabulary / OWL ontology development. It supports interoperability
going the other way as well -- from RDF and OWL to UML, for example.
The UML profiles in the specification for RDF, OWL, and Topic Maps allow
us to use UML tools to provide a consistent graphical notation
leveraging UML semantics for developing vocabularies, topic maps, or
ontologies.

In the SOA ABSIG at OMG, we've been talking about extending the current
set of metamodels to support SOA development, including but not limited
to Semantic Web Services.  Chris Harding, who also responded to this
email thread, spoke at an OMG meeting on the work they are doing at Open
Group, but we've also heard from David Martin at SRI, and others active
in SWS research -- all well received at OMG.

 From a more general web architecture perspective, there are many
members of the OMG community who are focused on enterprise software
development and deployment, but the definition of "enterprise" has
certainly evolved over the last ten years. There is a strong movement
towards content delivery, information services, information technology
in general, all with a view on the myriad emerging deployment strategies
for content.  A case in point: Disney joined the OMG last year, with a
view towards standardizing content management and delivery across
business units.  Their content delivery requirements tend towards the
extreme -- ranging from providing metadata for every ABC news clip and
making both the clip and the metadata available to producers with ten
minutes of airtime, to on-demand ESPN sports, to tracking the provenance
of individual cells from classic films, repurposing content for use in
the "bonus features" on DVDs in many languages, and on it goes.

Anyway, I think there is a lot going on at OMG that would reflect the
'traditional, comparatively monolithic' development, but there is also a
lot going on that is very current, embracing both the Web and an
evolving vision for application and content development and deployment
in general.  I'm not unique in this view -- the same guys who I find on
telecons for various Semantic Web working groups also show up at OMG
meetings ... wearing similar hats but different glasses, and the number
of folks who bridge both organizations/worlds is growing, which is
gratifying for me and a good thing for web development, the Semantic
Web, and software engineering IMHO.

Best,

Elisa