Re: In RDF what is the best practice to represent data provenance (source)?

>If not, can you tell me some
>alternative means to reference (and annotate) relationships within a
>domain? I do not see a second candidate for providing this functionality.

If you want to talk about the relationships shouldn't you explicitly model
them?

Think about "foaf:knows" for a second. If I want to talk about "I know so
and so" and "I've known them for this long" and "we met each other this way"
I think you could use "foaf:knows" for the first statement and then
employ reification with the semantics you described and a few additional
predicates. But I feel like the proper way to represent this is
with a different structure. First, a "hasPersonalRelationship" (Person,
PersonalRelationship) predicate. Related predicates would then be things
like "with" (PersonalRelationship, foaf:Person), "since"
(PersonalRelationship, xsd:date), etc. The problem I see with this approach
is that the existing predicate, "foaf:knows" is basically marooned and you'd
have to choose between the two vocabularies. But can't "foaf:knows" can just
be a quick way of saying "hasPersonalRelationship with", i.e.

Chris foaf:knows Jen

becomes shorthand for (and equivalent to):

Chris hasPersonalRelationship _:a
_:a with Jen

Is there any way to represent this type of relation amongst predicates with
OWL or a related language? I see this same modelling technique used in the
following tagging vocabulary:
http://www.holygoat.co.uk/owl/redwood/0.1/tags/tags.n3 where resources can
be tagged by relating them directly to tags with "taggedWithTag" (Resource,
Tag) or indirectly with "tag" (Resource, Tagging) and "associatedTag"
(Tagging, Tag).

In this case, Foo taggedWithTag Bar

is shorthand for:

Foo tag _:a