Re: Axiom: Opacity of URIs

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 10:29:03 -0500
To: rreck@rrecktek.com
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org

Ronald,

In this case you are using URIs to represent words, which really is
bridging two very different worlds.

URIs are typically used to represent the identify of a web page or the
semantics of  a data field, which are fairly well defined, whereas words
in a language have meanings which morph and fork with time.
Most of the advice about choosing good URIs, then, will be less
applicable t you when you use a URI to refer to a word.

Yes, it seems reasonable to qualify it with a language.

Note that RDF literals carry an optional language designator.

Check out the wordnet work, and glossary work such as SIOC.

Tim