Re: [Fwd: Language Ontology]

Hello Elisa,

Elisa F. Kendall wrote:
> Hi Debbie,
>
> Thanks for the warning.  We did know that it was incomplete, but are
> interested in representations of place names in local languages, so
> having a structure for capturing this information, even if incomplete,
> is useful.

Debbie might expect that I point you to this: CLDR [1] already has such
as structure, and the structure is filled with region (and other) names
in many "locales". See an excerpt of locale display names for English below:

<ldml>
    <identity> [...] <language type="en"/>
    </identity>
    <localeDisplayNames>
        <languages>
        <scripts>
        <territories>
            <territory type="DE">Germany</territory> [...] </territories>
        <variants>
            <variant type="1901">Traditional German orthography</variant>
            <variant type="1996">German orthography of 1996</variant>
[...] </variants>
    </localeDisplayNames>

you might want to see if this is useful for your efforts.

Regards, Felix.

[1] http://unicode.org/cldr/index.html