Re: Question about ontology query languages... (please reply!!!)

On 10 Apr 2007, at 14:10, Cristina Lancioni, Doctor in Computer
Science wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm a phd student in Information Technology at the University of
> Camerino (Italy).
> I would like to know if it's possible to do recursive queries in
> SPARQL.

"Recursive query" can mean several things.

> In fact I've this problem. I've an ontology in OWL with only
> relations is-a.

Do you mean the subclass tree? are you using subclassof?

> This ontology is made like a tree. I would like to select a
> subgraph made of the path from the leaf node to the root node
> (result example: A(leaf) is-a B is-a C is-a D(root)).

Are you querying for class names?

> How could I do this using only a single query? Shoud I do this with
> SPARQL? If not, do You know another ontology query language to do
> this?

If you are building the ontology yourself, you could use a transitive
role in the ontology (e.g., for is-a), then a standard sparql query
will do the job (assuming that the store supports it).

There are some query languages that support a transitive closure
operator in the query, e.g., the one with Kowari/whatever it's called
now, the one in wilbur (which has more general regular expressions),
or you might try SPARQL Rules
	<http://platon.escet.urjc.es/~axel/publications/GIA-TR-2006-11-28.pdf>

Vanilla sparql will not do the job.

You could also lobby your favorite engine implementor for an extension.

Cheers,
Bijan.