Re: ontology for units of measurement and/or physical quantities

On 26/09/06, Yoshio Fukushige <fukushige.yoshio@jp.panasonic.com> wrote:

> I partly feel it may be a work out of the W3C's scope to nominate such ontologies,
>  but feel, at the same time, that great(?) many people will be glad to have
> a list of such "standard" ontologies for each field of interest.

I suspect the Swoogle folks have the right idea in looking at the
"standards" that people *are* using, rather than having any authority
nominate a certain set. The fact that terms from different
vocabularies can be easily intermixed makes everything a lot less
rigid.

http://swoogle.umbc.edu/

blog:
http://ebiquity.umbc.edu/blogger/index.php?cat=24

But it would be handy to have a directory with per-subject
classification, along the lines of the contents of:

http://esw.w3.org/topic/VocabularyMarket

(I thought SchemaWeb was heading that way, but that seems to have been
quiet recently)

I guess something could be put together with a minimum of human effort
using a facetted browser like Longwell, though some manual work would
probably have to go into classification. Is there a vocabulary for
describing vocabularies? (maybe the ontology description bits of OWL
plus a bit of Dublin Core and SKOS would cover it...)

Maybe a folksonomy tagging system could help? There isn't much in
del.icio.us use for rdf+units

http://del.icio.us/search/?fr=del_icio_us&p=units+rdf&type=all

Cheers,
Danny.