Re: ontology for units of measurement and/or physical quantities

Hi all,

I've been thinking about the same problem as Robert
these couple of days coincidently, especially wondering
where I can find the property "exterms:units" and
"exunits" vocabulary in Danny's example.

Is there any popular vocabulary for that purpose?

I found the SWEET[3] ontology by Rob Raskin @NASA,
and think it may be one of the building blocks when
we will eventually build an ontology for that purpose
(if we will).

What do you think?

My particular interest is to find (or build) vocabulary to describe basic ascpects of
information appliances, like the power supply, power consumption, etc.

I'd like to hear from you  what kind of options I have.

BTW, I come to wonder what contributions W3C can make
in helping people to find such "standard" onotlogies...

I partly feel it may be a work out of the W3C's scope to nominate such ontologies,
 but feel, at the same time, that great(?) many people will be glad to have
a list of such "standard" ontologies for each field of interest.

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 10:19:16 +0200
Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> N-ary relations [1] seems like a straightforward way of representing
> values with units, there's an example in the Primer [2] (here as
> Turtle syntax, a bit clearer):
>
> exproduct:item10245   exterms:weight  [
>                  rdf:value        "2.4"^^xsd:decimal ;
>                  exterms:units    exunits:kilograms .