Re: Controlled Vocabularies Aid Translation and Content Management

Hans Teijgeler wrote:
> Adrian,
>
>> So, how is this relevant to w3c?
>
> It is very relevant to W3C, because their Recommendations are, at times,
> hard to understand for someone whose native language isn't UK-English or
> US-English. Add to that the handicap of not belonging to the happy incrowd
> of W3C, so not being conversant with much of the W3C-specific slang and the
> abundantly used acronyms.

Hans--

I think you're making the situation simpler than it really is.  Surely
by this time you realize that it isn't only people whose native language
isn't English who find W3C Recommendations "at times, hard to
understand"?  And as for "the happy incrowd of W3C", there certainly
seems to be more than one such crowd, and they often don't appear very
happy with each other :-)

> An all-inclusive and normative W3C glossary of terms and acronyms with a
> crystal clear definitions (in understandable English) would help, provided
> that all authors would normatively refer to that glossary. A simple case of
> QA (meaning Quality Assurance - 'The process assuring the quality of one
> organization's outcomes.' (according [1])).

"An all-inclusive and normative W3C glossary of terms and acronyms with
a crystal clear definitions (in understandable English)" would not only
help, it would be a miracle!  (A great example of how simple this task
would be is to consider the definition of "resource").  I think we might
want to start with something much simpler, like an OWL ontology (nothing
like eating your own dogfood!).

I'd also note that it generally isn't "the-great-W3C-in-the-sky" that
gets things done, it's *volunteers* who get things done, W3C itself not
having an arbitrarily-large workforce.  Things like making W3C
Recommendations more understandable to non-native-English-speakers (or
even translating them into other languages) are examples.  That things
don't get done doesn't necessarily mean the W3C doesn't see them as
desirable.

--Frank