Re: Use or alias in vCard/RDF?

On 2006 Nov 27 , at 18.22, Norman Walsh wrote:

> There are several properties in the vCard ontology that are
> conceptually "the same as" some other properties from other
> ontologies. Off the top of my head:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#latitude
>   http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#longitude
>   http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#nickname
>   http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#family-name
>   http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#given-name
>   http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#bday
>
> It seems to me that we can/should/could either deprecate all of these
> in favor of the properties from other namespaces or we could keep the
> local aliases and make them (some flavor of) sameAs the other
> properties.

Since the vCard ontology is really a derivative of the vCard
standard, then it would seem eccentric to start unilaterally
deprecating bits of it.  It might also probably be counterproductive,
as Kjetil said.

It would also thwart a simple-minded (ie, immediately
intelligible) .vcf -> .rdf translation.  If all the tags in the vCard
spec are present, undeprecated, in the target ontology (including
declared relations to other ontologies), then such a translator might
not be that much more elaborate than a sed script.  Which would be
nice.  If someone writing such a utility has to grok the
documentation for a bevy of other ontologies, it's suddenly a more
elaborate, and errorprone, project.

It's not as if either the vCard or other ontologies is likely to
change _so_ rapidly that this becomes a maintainance burden, is it?

Also, re

>   http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#latitude
>   http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#longitude

these are not "the same as" the geo: ontology, but are instead more
generic (correctly: c.f. the other thread).

See you,

Norman

----
Norman Gray  /  http://nxg.me.uk
eurovotech.org  /  University of Leicester, UK