Re: "Hash URIs" and content negotiation

On Nov 8, 2006, at 11:08 AM, Pius A. Uzamere II wrote:

> I think that one could argue that either way.  The way I see it,
> the resource should be decoupled from its representation.  Here,
> the resource is the content of the document, while the
> representation is the language in which it is written.  In the real
> world, though, it depends on the domain.
>
> If you're building a document management system, in which you are
> representing each physically printed document as a resource, you
> could argue that it's semantically incorrect to demote various
> translations from resources to representations, and I'd agree with
> you.
>
> If, on the other hand, you have online user profiles that you are
> dynamically translating to different formats (e.g. RDF, XHTML, and
> different language versions thereof), it's probably more correct to
> treat the profile as the resource and the translations as the
> representations.

The problem is that I don't mint URIs for my personal use. I build
them so that other's can use them (hopefully in ways that I didn't
expect). If I am diligent in naming different things by different
names then someone who wants to group those into a single concept
can. If I group different things into a different name, each person
who can figure out how to untangle them(when that is even possible)
will do so in a different way.

-Alan