Re: Undecidability of OWL-Full and Cantor's antinomy

Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote on 2006-11-04:

> I believe that you are going down the wrong path here.
>
> Your argument goes more towards semantic paradox than decidability.  If the
> bad set was present in all OWL Full semantic structures, then the meaning
> of OWL Full would collapse.  However, OWL Full was carefully engineered to
> avoid many of the common semantic paradoxes, and thus only certain kinds of
> "sets" are present in all OWL Full semantic structures.

Aha, I did not know this! Until now, I had in mind some vague concept of
the form "in OWL-Full I can express whatever I want", and that it would
be up to me to not write down nonsense (like I actually /can/ write down
this Cantor's set in mathematics, because it is /syntactically/ a well
formed expression, but, as I understand it, it simply does not have any
meaning in mathematics).

In most cases, when thinking about some distinctive difference between
OWL-Full and DL, I had in mind this

   owl:Class rdf:type owl:Class .

triple, which means that in OWL-Full a class can be an instance of
itself. And if this is allowed, than the following should also be allowed:

   owl:Class rdf:type [ owl:complementOf owl:Class ] .

and this, as you might guess, finally took me to the idea of defining
the "bad" Cantor set.

But, ok, from what you said this probably won't work, and this is, of
course, a good thing. :)

Thanks for your reply!

Michael