Re: N3 and tools availability?

Patrick Petit wrote:

> Danny Ayers wrote:
>
>> On 3/30/06, Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Patrick Petit wrote:
>>>

>> Hi Patrick,

>> You probably noticed this already, but just for the record: many RDF
>> toolkits support reading/writing the Turtle [1] subset of N3, the
>> parts needed to describe RDF graphs.
>>

> Yes. I saw that. Thanks to all of you who send tools indications are
> recommendations!
> It's not easy task for new comers to find out the right orientation as
> to what parts of the technology and tools are readily usable for
> practical and *standard compliant* applications. My take-over of this
> thread is that Turtle syntax and Sparql form the most stable basis for
> SW applications development. N3 rules is more bleeding-edge stuffs, not
> necessarily supported across the board expected by cwm, which in a sense
> is an N3 reference implementation. But, there is no guarantee it'll be
> retrofitted as is in the SW standards. Jena is interoperable with Turtle
> and Sparql and is a (the?) framework of choice for Java programmers.
> Though, it is not compatible with N3 rules but provide reasoner
> alternatives. Did I get this right?

Sounds right to me.

There is currently no standard for RDF rules. There is a working group
chartered to develop a rules interchange format (RIF) and it is
conceivable that something that might be regarded as an RDF rules
language could emerge as a "side effect" of that. There are no
guarantees though, and less guarantees of it looking much like N3 rules.

Dave