Re: iana mime types as rdfs:Datatype ?

From: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
Subject: iana mime types as rdfs:Datatype ?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:46:33 +0200

[...]

> Ie I would like to define
>
> ianatxt:html a rdfs:Datatype .
>
> of course since I don't own the iana domain name I probably should
> not.

[...]

Why ever not?

I mean it's not as if your word is gospel.  All you are doing is making a
claim.  Other people (and systems) can agree or disagree.  If they agree,
then just maybe your claim will sweep the Semantic Web, and everyone (or,
at least, everyone who counts) will have a better shared view of reality.
If no one agrees, then your claim (and maybe you as well) will be
shunted off to a dusty, unvisited corner of the Semantic Web.

So, why should you refrain from making, using, and publicizing this
statement?

peter

PS: All the above is completely independent of the technical and political
merits or demerits of making the statement in a non-standard fashion.