Re: [semanticweb] Ontology of interests

Dear all:

As a side remark: in our paper [1], we have provided some quantitative
evidence that Wikipedia URIs are reliable, authoritative identifiers for
  everyday concepts.

Best
Martin

[1] Harvesting Wiki Consensus - Using Wikipedia Entries as Ontology
Elements, Proceedings of the 1st Workshop: SemWiki2006 - From Wiki to
Semantics, co-located with the 3rd Annual European Semantic Web
Conference (ESWC 2006) , June 12, 2006, Budva, Montenegro.
Available at
http://www.heppnetz.de/files/SemWiki2006-Harvesting%20Wiki%20Consensus-LNCS-final.pdf
or http://www.heppnetz.de

Bernard Vatant wrote:

> Hamish
>> Besides, what's wrong with saying, without using another URI:
>>
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework>
>> foaf:topic _:rdf .
>> <http://www.w3.org/RDF/> foaf:topic _:rdf .
>>
> This is an option I've been pushing here and there for months, without
> much feedback so far. I think this is the best one can do in RDF to
> capture the fact that two resources deal with the same
> thing/topic/subject, whereas keeping agnostic about what this thing
> actually "is".
> The argument against it, that _:rdf is only a local node and therefore
> limits the usability of the declaration to the local file is moot IMO.
>
> Suppose I have in another RDF file
>
> <http://xmlfr.org/documentations/tutoriels/041015-0001> foaf:topic  _:b
> <http://www.w3.org/RDF/> foaf:topic _:b .
>
> Agreed in this case I cannot infer that _:b and _:rdf are the same,
> because foaf:topic bears no cardinality constraint.
> But one can use some functional property instead, like
> skos:primarySubject, so if I have somewhere :
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework>
> skos:primarySubject     _:b1
> <http://www.w3.org/RDF/> skos:primarySubject     _:b1
>
> And in another RDF graph
>
> <http://xmlfr.org/documentations/tutoriels/041015-0001>
> skos:primarySubject     _:b2
> <http://www.w3.org/RDF/> skos:primarySubject     _:b2
>
> An agent can reasonably infer that _:b1 and _:b2 are the same and merge
> the three resources in a third file
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework>
> skos:primarySubject     _:b
> <http://www.w3.org/RDF/> skos:primarySubject     _:b
> <http://xmlfr.org/documentations/tutoriels/041015-0001>
> skos:primarySubject     _:b
>
> More about it at [1]
>
> [1]
> http://universimmedia.blogspot.com/2006/04/more-use-cases-for-nondescript.html
>

> --
>
> *Bernard Vatant*
>
> Knowledge Engineering
>
> ----------------------------------------------------* *
>
> *Mondeca **
> *3, cité Nollez 75018 Paris France
>
> Web: www.mondeca.com <http://www.mondeca.com>

> Tel. +33 (0) 871 488 459
>
> Mail: bernard.vatant@mondeca.com <mailto:bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
>
> Wikipedia user <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Universimmedia>

martin hepp
e-mail: martin.hepp@deri.org
web:    http://www.heppnetz.de
skype:  mfhepp
office: +43 512 507 6465

Check eClassOWL, the first real-world e-business ontology
for products and services in OWL at
http://www.heppnetz.de/eclassOWL