Re: Solving Sudoku with OWL

Not all sudoku puzzles can be solved by solely inference. I expect that any
OWL implementation is an inference engine. It means that if a sudoku puzzle
can be solved by 100% logical inference, then OWL engine can solve the
puzzle as well. Any sudoku puzzle having unique solution could then be
solved by OWL engine.

The ability to solve different levels of sudoku puzzles can be an indicator
of the intelligence of OWL implementation. From another view sudoku can be a
mean to improve the intelligence of OWL engine.

The techniques used in solving sudoku puzzles can apply on OWL
implementation. In addition to simple scanning the cardinality constraints,
there are multiple contingency and force chaining. They are advanced sudoku
techniques that OWL implementation can include.

Using rules is more flexible than relying on OWL engine, at least you can
enter new rules any time you like. However, rules is not computing efficient
sometimes. It is better to have OWL engine performs the inference anyway.

BTW, solving most sudoku puzzles should not take more than tenth second with
today's computer. You might go to a wrong direction if the engine ran as
long as 5 hours. Even if it used brute-force, dancing-link algorithm already
greatly reduced the time for the first solution.

Anyway,.. I don't have time to implement the above concepts in OWL, either.

Jeremy Wong 黃泓量
--
Miko-Kings Instruments Ltd.
Web: http://www.miko.com.hk/