Re: microformats and semantic web?

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 12:45:40 +0100
To: dorait@imorph.com
Cc: iris garden <iris2000sa@yahoo.com>, semanticweb@yahoogroups.com, semantic-web@w3.org

re. http://microformats.org

The main idea is roughly tweaking/adding bits of markup to make
information people are already publishing as (X)HTML more
machine-readable, e.g. for events, reviews, etc.

The connection with the Semantic Web should be clear from this 2000
mail from Dan Connolly [1]:
[[
I believe that one of the best ways to transition into RDF, if not a
long-term deployment strategy for RDF, is to manage the information in
human-consumable form (XHTML) annotated with just enough info to
extract the RDF statements that the human info is intended to convey.
In other words: using a relational database or some sort of native RDF
data store, and spitting out HTML dynamically, is a lot of
infrastructure to operate and probably not worth it for lots of
interesting cases. We all know that we have to produce a
human-readable version of the thing... why not use that as the primary
source?
]]

The microformats approach is to definine specific domain
models/(micro)formats in line with good practices, there's no attempt
at a general data language above XHTML (check Embedded RDF [2] for
that).

The microformats folks do advocate the use of metadata profiles, so in
principle at least the data should be available as RDF using GRDDL
[3]. Worst-case, it's a darn sight more deterministic than scraping
;-)

On 1/5/06, Dorai Thodla <dorait@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://esw.w3.org/topic/MicroModels

Thanks Dorai, this is basically me trying to accumulate
SemWeb-friendly schemas/models/XSLT corresponding to microformats,
StructuredBlogging and other format-oriented initiatives.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/2000Mar/0103
[2] http://research.talis.com/2005/erdf/wiki/Main/RdfInHtml