Re: [OWL] annotations and meta-modelling in OWL 1.1

Hi Peter, Alan and all,

After reading Alan's following email and the proposed OWL 1.1 syntax [1], it seems to me that punning is not a convincing choice for metamodeling in OWL 1.1. ( For those who are not familiar with punning - punning means that a name, like Person, can be used as both an individual and a class and a property.)

1. It is impossible to distinguish higher order statements from annotations of symbols and
artefacts we are using to represent that domain, as pointed out in Alan's email. The reason that they are not distinguishable is because annotations in [1] are simply syntactic sugar of individual axioms.

2. Datatype axioms, unlike other axioms in OWL 1.1 [1], cannot have annotations. This seems pretty strange, at least to me. The reason is that although individuals, object properties and classes can share names, classes and datatypes cannot.

3.The semantics of punning is not quite intuitive. This can be shown in the following example. In the following  OWL 1.1 [1] ontology, Cat and Kitty are used as both classes and individuals. Although Cat and Kitty are the same individual and Ted is a Cat, the ontology

Class (Cat partial)
Class (Kitty partial)
SameIndividual (Cat Kitty)
Individual (Ted Cat)

does not entail that Ted is also a Kitty. This distinguishes the punning semantics from many other semantics, such as the OWL FA semantics [2], Hilog semantics [3] and RDF semantics [4].

The above point 2 suggests that the use of punning cannot really eliminate the need for annotations properties. Point 1 provides a good reason to distinguish annotation properties from metamodeling. Point 3 suggests that punning (as an option for metamodeling in OWL 1.1) is not quite intuitive and can be misleading.

Greetings,
Jeff

[1] http://www-db.research.bell-labs.com/user/pfps/owl/syntax.html
[2] http://dl-web.man.ac.uk/~panz/Zhilin/pubc.php?type=epapers&id=PHS05
[3] http://dip.semanticweb.org/documents/Boris-Motik-On-the-Properties-of-Metamodeling-in-OWL.pdf
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/

--
Dr. Jeff Z. Pan (http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~jpan/)
Department of Computing Science, The University of Aberdeen