Re: System for semantic annotation and retrieving of audio

[cc'ing semantic-web@w3.org]

On 18/12/06, giugy <matteozatto@yahoo.it> wrote:

> Hi,sorry for my english but I don't speak it very well.
>
> Someone know a system (software) that allows to do a semantic
> annotation (and possibly retrieving) of audio? I need it for my
> university thesis but I don't find anything....PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

There is now a W3C Multimedia Semantics Incubator Group, you may find
useful material on their mailing list etc.
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/mmsem/

MusicBrainz is probably the best-known system, although last I heard
was they were backing away from RDF.
http://musicbrainz.org/

Amongst my bookmarks I also found:

Ontolog
http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~heggland/ontolog/

MusiK
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=26378&group_id=89874

Although the usual transport for podcasting, RSS 2.0, is a lost cause
when it comes to semantics, there is an "enclosure" module for RSS 1.0
(RDF) that may be useful:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~foz/mod_enclosure.html

In the same area there are also Atom, Yahoo! Media RSS and iTunes RSS
which all use namespaced XML, so are possible candidates for the GRDDL
mechanism:

http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/
http://search.yahoo.com/mrss
http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/podcaststechspecs.html
http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/

When retrieving audio from a HTTP server, it's usually thought of a
big binary one-URI object, but with a bit of hackery it's possible to
address media files with more granular URIs, see:
http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2004/05/18.html

Cheers,
Danny.

--