Re: In defence of 404 ...

On 8 Aug 2006, at 22:55, Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 22:37 +0200, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
>> Short term, yes DOC1 and DOC2 will give complementary and consistant
>> descriptions of the same set of entities.
>
> Ah... good.
>
>> Longer term, if we want to publish several versions of these data we
>> will have to figure out how we would like to express all that.
>
> Yes, that's an interesting puzzle.
>
>>  Including
>> rdfs:seeAlso references to different versions of the same data could
>> lead to include inconsistent descriptions and I think that this is
>> what
>> Bernard means.
>
> In that case, I hope we can use something more refined than seeAlso
> to say "well, here's the newer version, i.e. the version I'm most
> actively supporting today, though I still stand by this old version.
> I don't promise you can use them together at the same time to
> get something sensible." and maybe the tabulator can be taught
> to discriminate.

This is really what AtomOwl  [1] does, though there may be better
ways of doing it.
In Atom an Entry can be thought of as metadata about a resource at a
time.

[] a :Feed;
    :entry [  a :Entry;
            :title "Atom-Powered Robots Run Amok"^:text;
            iana:alternate [ :src <http://eg.com/entry1/v1>;
                             :type "text/html" ];
            :id "http://eg.com/entry1"^^xsd:anyUri;
            :updated "2003-12-13T18:30:02Z"^^xsd:dateTime;
            :summary "After reading too much philosophy of
history..."^:text
           ];
    :entry [  a :Entry;
            :author _:author1;
            :title "Atom-Powered Robots Run Amok in Paris"^:text;
            iana:alternate [ :src <http://eg.com/entry1/v2>;
                             :type "text/html" ];
            :id "http://eg.com/entry1"^^xsd:anyUri;
            :updated "2004-01-13T18:30:02Z"^^xsd:dateTime;
            :summary "After reading too much Rousseau"^:text
           ] .

Above we have two entries with the same id, but with different
alternate representations. For rdf
entries one could have two alternate representations with an rdf mime
type instead.

This is just to show that it can be done.

Henry

[1] http://bblfish.net/work/atom-owl/2006-06-06/