Re: In defence of 404 ...

Le 9 août 06 à 05:55, Dan Connolly a écrit :
>> Longer term, if we want to publish several versions of these data we
>> will have to figure out how we would like to express all that.
>
> Yes, that's an interesting puzzle.
>
>>  Including
>> rdfs:seeAlso references to different versions of the same data could
>> lead to include inconsistent descriptions and I think that this is
>> what
>> Bernard means.
>
> In that case, I hope we can use something more refined than seeAlso
> to say "well, here's the newer version, i.e. the version I'm most
> actively supporting today, though I still stand by this old version.
> I don't promise you can use them together at the same time to
> get something sensible." and maybe the tabulator can be taught
> to discriminate.

Authority versus Usage
Human dictionaries have the same "issue".

There is the language talked in the society

	- old terms used by old people or in specific regions which are not
common anymore (plus books, etc.)
	- new terms not coined by dictionary which might disappear

and there is the dictionary which pretty much try to capture usage
each year, trying to keep a balance between what should be in or not.
Human decision.

The versioning of the dictionary is the year.
	Laurel: Have you looked the definition in the dictionary?
	Hardy:  hmmm yes. but I could not find it.
	Laurel: did you use the most recent one?
	Hardy:  let me check… ah… I have a 20 years old version.

What I want to express by this that you can define a collection of
all the editions of a dictionary (an index) and then you can refer to
a particular version. The rest about using the "good" version or more
exactly the version you need is up to a social issue (you might need
to look into a old dictionary to find terms which have disappeared).

so linking mechanisms for navigating collection of versions is
important. Authority (Littré, Larousse, Robert) is at an upper level
and not related.
Last version is an information of what is considered being important
for task now, but old versions can be as much important for certain
contexts (linguistics, history, etc.)

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***