RE: INSEE releases OWL ontology and RDF data for geographical entities

Le dimanche 06 août 2006 à 16:32 +0200, Hans Teijgeler a écrit :
> Eric,
>
> You quoted:
> "It is recommended that implementors of RDF serializers, in order to break a
> URI into a namespace name and a local name, split it after the last XML
> non-NCName character, ensuring that the first character of the name is a
> Letter or '_'. If the URI ends in a non-NCName character then throw a "this
> graph cannot be serialized in RDF/XML" exception or error."
>
> Please help me understand:
>
> What is weird on those URIs?

You need to go back in the context set by Xiaoshu's mail to which I was
answering!

Xiaoshu wrote:

"The reason for me to raise this question is this.  Unlike hash URI, the
namespace URI can not be "inferred" or "guessed" from a URI itself.  For
instance, a URI of http://foo.com/bar can be constructed with namespace
http://foo.com/, http://foo.com/b or http://foo.com/ba coupled with
local ID
of "bar", "ar" and "r", respectively."

He meant that a URI such as http://foo.com/bar can be obtained by a
namespace name http://foo.com/b and a local name "ar":

<ar xmlns="http://foo.com/b"/>

This would of course be a bad practise and he was mentioning that he
thought the W3C should clearly forbid that.

My remark is that if <ar xmlns="http://foo.com/b"/> would be interpreted
as http://foo.com/bar, it would be serialised back as <bar
xmlns="http://foo.com/"/> (thus my comment about the fact that with
these "weird URIs", XML/RDF -> RDF store -> XML/RDF roundtrips would be
still more broken that it is generally the case).

That's all what I meant, nothing more :) ...

Eric

--
GPG-PGP: 2A528005
Don't you think all these XML schema languages should work together?