Re: Is there real world RDF-S/OWL instance data?

From: Bob DuCharme <bob@snee.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 10:14:31 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Frank Manola" <fmanola@acm.org>
Cc: Sören Auer <auer@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, semantic-web@w3.org

On Wed, August 2, 2006 12:50 pm, Frank Manola wrote:

> I appreciate that your request was for publicly-available instance data,
> but as a possibly-minor footnote to this thread (especially given its
> title), I'd note (again) that the *publicly-available* instance data
> doesn't necessarily include all *real world* instance data.

Frank,

I find it perfectly plausible that there is more RDF behind firewalls than
publicly available (although of course we can't be sure), but I was
curious: do you have any ideas about why this is so? Could it be because a
system limited to use within one enterprise makes it easier to impose more
top-down control over the use of a particular ontology, and that this
greater control gives people more incentive to follow through on a project
involving the creation and use of large amounts of RDF data?

thanks,

Bob