Re: [ontac-forum] Re: Semantic Layers (Was Interpretation of RDF reification)

Seems etiquette is to reply to all.
Anyway Azamat, I apologize for misspelling your name. Probably not the only
mistake in my post -:)
It seems like a huge amount of money, but one should understand that these
are terms that governments talk to each other in. As you know the ostensible
wisdom is free trade now days, this is back door state pump priming.
What does seem to me to be relevant is that different approaches be
represented in this effort. Actually I find it hard to believe (perhaps you
know?) that in such a huge spend variations of approach such as you might
advocate and, perhaps one John Sowa might have conceived, are not being
explored.

Well I actually owe Paul Prueitt an apology (he will know) as well, which is
necessary before I make my next comments.
Harry,
First of all is there a semantic-web-philosophy@w3.org list? I guess this
conversation would belong there if there is.
That said arguments are not won by force and bluster.
I find this type of discussion useful to my work, but the very idea that it
couldn't be smacks of coercion, the very thing you are riling against when
you say this is ideology. I don't believe that is so for a minute. I frankly
don't understand a to of the issues being discussed here, this is one of the
reasons I find it useful, but with regard philosophy, specifically
metaphysics, there is a powerful and cogent argument that there are such
things as metaphysical facts. I don't believe that there is any attempt to
indoctrinate with the one true ontology approach. But I do think there is an
attempt to delineate the landscape in a clear way and that clarity will
entail building on certain facts, yes, metaphysical if you will.
As I have said, I don't understand the field well enough to really
contribute. On the whole my attitude is if there is something that operates
consistently on a higher level than RDF/OWL and I can get an intellectual
purchase on it then, hopefully, so much the better for me. But anyway, in
the mean time I am learning about the issues that surround RDF usage.
I have to say that I strongly object to any attempt to curtail my
participating in such discussions.
When it comes to metaphysical fact I know that the sine qua non of a human
is the ability to reason and that reason entails language. My thoughts and
questions are fairly unbiased. Force majeure is not rational argument. But
my foregoing comment is equally as critical of for instance this passage in
the paper:-
Analogical Reasoning <http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/analog.htm>   by John F.
Sowa and Arun K. Majumdar

According to Aristotle, the essence of human includes both rational and
> animal. Other attributes, such as laughing or being a featherless biped,
> might be unique to humans, but they are *accidental* attributes that could
> be different without changing the essence. Ibn Taymiyya, however, maintained
> that the distinction between essence and accident was arbitrary. Human might
> just as well be defined as laughing animal, with rational as an accidental
> attribute.

I, therefore, believe it is a fact that humans are rational in the sense
that we can ascribe reasons to all thoughts, feelings and desires. It
cannot, therefore be an accidental or arbitrary distinction. I am alerted to
the possibility that analogic reasoning is, as its name suggests, in fact a
form of rational process which cannot really be set against other forms of
reasoning. It is a question as to what distinguishes it from other forms.
The following is an illustration of how rational discourse works with
respect to metaphysical fact by another obscure philosopher, Dr G. Klempner,
in a discussion of Dummett and Wittgenstein:-

From Dr Geoffrey Klempner Pathways Letters to My Students Michael Dummett on
'realism'
 <http://www.philosophypathways.com/letters/marg8.html>

> My vision of the so-called 'problems of metaphysics' consists in the
> recognition of the simultaneous necessity and impossibility of expressing,
> say, anti-realism or immaterialism. There are no theories that can be
> stated, or refuted, but only the dialectic, the continuous struggle to find
> an adequate expression. Or you can think of it as a battle against
> metaphysical illusions, where the illusion keeps finding different ways to
> 'manifest itself'. There is no such thing as 'realism', there is no such
> thing as 'anti- realism'; there are only the various things that, as a
> putative 'realist' or 'anti-realist' one is more or less irresistably
> tempted to say.

This adds strength to the notion "no one true ontology", while not denying
that there may be a very favourable way of exploring the logic of the field.
What I am interested in here, in this forum, is some instrumental form of
reasoning that would suit my pragmatic purposes. For this reason I am also
interested in the economics and politics of it. I want to know if I can
utilise what ever I know in an as yet under-represented field to my
advantage. So far, this is not difficult to follow or understand. When I am
told that there is work that is being got on with, obviously I know that is
the case, but I should point out that, not with standing the huge spend in
the area, there is another huge spend being made by the UK in Health IT (the
largest such project in the world) and yet there is very, very little
evidence that the benefits of one are being used to the advantage of the
other. This is both alarming and astonishing.
I face two ways on this. On the one hand I would like to see what could be
made relevant to that field (I mean beyond HL7 and Dublin Core). On the
other I have to seriously question if either the methods are correct, the
tools appropriate or what it might be to account for this disjuncture.
Best,
Adam