Re: why are properties decoupled from classes

From: Xavier Noria <fxn@hashref.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:31:33 +0200
To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>

On Oct 26, 2005, at 11:20, Jon Hanna wrote:

> Look at it the other way around. If you could assume that there was
> a foaf:interest assserted for every foaf:Person then any
> foaf:Person without a foaf:interest asserted would be invalid,
> hence it would be impossible to say anything about anyone without
> giving at least one foaf:interest which you may neither know nor
> care about. An application concerned with people's medical history
> will not care about the same information as one concerned with
> their professional qualifications and so on.

Yeah, in OOP you refine the data model to reflect that.

I see RDFS and friends are designed in a more decoupled way in that
regard because the (ideal) scenario are stores and ontologies all
over the net, where a more restricted approach would simply not work.
That is not the whole rationale, but I start to understand that
context as a key point underlying semantic web technologies.

> It *is* possible to say that, for example, all people have mothers

In which formalism can you express that?

-- fxn