Re: Application of RDF. Need a sanity Check

From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@ontopia.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 00:08:07 +0200
To: "Leo Riener" <riener@portal.com>
Cc: <semantic-web@w3.org>

* Leo Riener

| A team of engineers at my company are investigating options for
| managing the complex topology of our product. [...]
|
| To start with, neither our product nor this specific use of RDF has
| anything to do with W3; it consists of a number of specialized,
| interconnected components running on multiple hosts.  Some
| configuration parameters in one component depend on, or have an
| effect upon, other components.  The end result would be a topology
| design tool (Protégé) producing a configuration description
| (RDF/OWL) that can be subsequently used to deploy the processes,
| monitor them, etc.

Our software (Ontopia's, that is) has been used to do two production
projects of this kind, and at least three applications have been
piloted to varying degrees. If you're interested I can give you
references to presentations on all of these except the most
interesting one, about which I can only provide general details.

However, our software uses Topic Maps, and although it has some level
of RDF support, I would hesitate to describe it as RDF software.