RE: URIs in RDF (Was: New Intro to RDF)

Jacek:

>but on the Web it's easier and cheaper to create new words so changing the
meaning of old words is not so
>necessary.
Exactly! In this sense, TBL's "Cool URIs don't change" should be read as
aiming at a semantic level, i.e. that the URI space should only be extended
monotonically. This should be possible, on a general scale (i.e. ignoring
the unavoidable inconsistencies of a system of Web scale), since the URI
space is not limited; and it requires only a tiny bit of discipline.

In this sense, http-prefixed URIs make a lot of sense (no matter whether
actually retrievable or not), since there is a generally accepted model of
ownership for subspaces.

In industrial numbering schemes, such prefixed subspaces made it possible to
have unique numbering combined with distributed evolution. ISBN and EAN/UPC
are the best examples: Every publisher/manufacturer can create a new number
for the last digits in a decentralized manner and thus create a globally
unique identifier for a book or product without any lag or central registry.
The only and similarly minimal consensus is that publishers/producers are
not allowed to reuse any number once assigned to a concept to any other
concept at any time. And that works very well!

Best wishes,
Martin
martin.hepp@deri.org, phone: +43 512 507 6465
http://www.heppnetz.de / http://www.deri.org