Re: tag URIs (was Re: New Intro to RDF)

From: Joshua Tauberer <tauberer@for.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 08:09:32 -0400
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
CC: David Powell <djpowell@djpowell.net>, "Hammond, Tony" <T.Hammond@nature.com>, "'SWIG'" <semantic-web@w3.org>

Sandro Hawke wrote:
> This is very old ground, but can I ask your reason for using tag: URIs
> instead of HTTP URIs?
 > (snip)
>    Do you want the web's default mechanism at your disposal for fetching
>    information about the identified thing?

For lots of things that I want to assign URIs to, I don't have any
intention of making a specific http: page available for it.  http: is
nice for predicates 'n ontologies and when the resource is itself a web
page, but if I want to assign a URI to my bed (as I did in the article),
I don't think there's a point to using http:.  Of course in the end it
doesn't matter, but it is a point of confusion.

And from the pedagogical point of view, I want readers of the article to
be exposed to http: URIs but to see that http: isn't privileged.

--
- Joshua Tauberer

http://taubz.for.net