Re: Annotea shared/social bookmarks

Not sure if this comment was meant for the list so I'm deleting the
sender info.

>Hi Marja,
>
>  personally, I have the impression that http://del.icio.us is *the*
>  social bookmark system.

 From Annotea social bookmarks perspective http://del.icio.us could be
just one Annotea bookmark server. It does not currently use Annotea
bookmark or topic objects that gather information about the bookmark
title, the bookmarked document (URI), the author, the time, the
description, the topics etc. together, but it very well could.

Annotea makes it easy to merge bookmarks and topics from different
sources. With Annotea users can store bookmarks many servers according
to their preferences or to specific servers in certain domains. They can
also store bookmarks to (RDF) files and publish them to any http:// or
ftp:// server.

Being able to publish bookmarks to different servers or files lets users
control what they want to share and with which groups and services if
they use the files as profiles with the services.

Annotea users can make connections from their topics to other people's
topics or concepts in standard ontologies and find documents that they
maybe never thought were related because they used different
vocabularies or they were not friends of the friends of the important
people.

Using Annotea also allows groups to add new information to the bookmark
and topic objects if they so wish and develop different viewers to the
information.

There could be search engines and harvesters that collect the public
bookmark and topic info or use some bookmark repositories to organize
the search results to help better match what the user is looking for.

There is a lot more.

I never thought we wanted just one central *the* social bookmarking system.

Marja.