Re: Why Literals should be unique and why this is a serious issue

From: Richard Newman <r.newman@reading.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 01:32:48 -0800
Cc: semantic-web at W3C <semantic-web@w3c.org>
To: Andreas Andreakis <andreas.andreakis@gmx.de>

Let's have a counter-example.

I know two people named David Green. Almost no literal-valued
property can really be termed inverse-functional: even genetic code
sequences can be shared (between twins, for example). Certainly,
terming names ("Tiger Woods") as IFPs (your more "fundamental
problem") doesn't work.

> So, in a relational Database this problem would have never arrised.
> So why canīt be do the same in Ontologies ?

Well, as has been pointed out, we can -- IFPs. We don't do so very
often because our assertions have global scope, and I *know* that the
two David Greens are separate individuals.

Relational databases rarely choose to deal with the possibilities of
integrating data from a dozen sources.

-R