Re: RDF over Jabber?

Danny Ayers wrote:

>This is something there's been talk of for quite a time - but is
>anyone actually doing it yet?
>What are good tools for the job?
>
>Cheers,
>Danny.

Hi Danny, one of the communication drivers that DBin has (www.dbin.org ,
possibly coming out in a few days) to do P2P exchange of RDF is based on
jabber.
Our personal experience has been controversial. Although using smack as
java API it was rather simple to have sync requests (like a URIQA
requests) then there was a lot of wicking to do at jabber server level
since there are plenty of any flood mechanism in place by default.
Once i had a configuration of the jabber server which didnt block some
operation or the other.. i am afraid the resulting server is not that
secure, it could probably be exploited to bother other servers for
example. Not sure :-) not a jabber expert.

Anyway, for this reason and also given i had the impression there was a
lot of overhead, we switched to something else to do p2p exchange of
RDF. Given that JXTA is the devil, and that i couldnt find an
alternative (please somebody tell me of one!) we went ahead and brewed
our own , Jasimpa (Java Simple Messaging Api)
http://www.dbin.org/JaSiMPA/ (sorry page real ugly and unfinished) .
Which is extraordinarely simple to use, it does firewall traversing
(which was something we really want) but has design issues which pose
limitations and that demand a few days/weeks of work,, want to help? :-)

Giovanni