Re: RDF document?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Brickley" <danbri@w3.org>
To: "Jeremy Wong" <jeremy@miko.hk>
Cc: "Frank Manola" <fmanola@acm.org>; "Chris Purcell" <cjp39@cam.ac.uk>;
<semantic-web@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 8:54 PM
Subject: Re: RDF document?

> On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 09:30 +0800, Jeremy Wong wrote:
>> Thanks for the correction of the term "document". It is an important
>> concept
>> of RDF.
>>
>> Consider the property foaf:workplaceHomepage [1], the domain of this
>> property is the class foaf:Document. Let's see the example..
>>
>> <foaf:Person>
>>  <foaf:name>Dan Brickley</foaf:name>
>>  <foaf:workplaceHomepage rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/"/>
>> </foaf:Person>
>>
>> I always think that this example is misleading. I would prefer to put the
>> above example in the following way..
>>
>> <foaf:Person>
>> <foaf:name>Dan Brickley</foaf:name>
>> <foaf:workplaceHomepage
>> rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#anyURI">http://www.w3..org/</foaf:workplaceHomepage>
>> </foaf:Person>
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I don't see it as misleading at all:
> foaf:workplaceHomepage is a relationship between a foaf:Person and
> a foaf:Document that is a homepage of a workplace of that person.
> This is explained in prose and in RDFS in the FOAF
> specification. I agree that you could, instead, have defined a similar
> relationship that holds between a person and a datatype-represented
> URI that identifies such a homepage. These are different modeling
> styles, each with their own benefits. For FOAF, we focus on the
> document,
> and not its identifier, since it is the document that is of interest,
> and we
> can mention the document even if we don't know it's URI.

It is a design issue. I would say that Literal is a medium to communicate
with the end-user. Obviously the property foaf:workplaceHomepage is intended
to show the information, http://www.w3.org/ in the example, to the end-user.
Therefore I prefer to use the typed literal,
"http:///www.w3.org"^^xsd:anyURI. It is to present a literal to the
end-user, rather than to present the URI of a resoruce to the end-user.

Both "http://www.w3.org/"^^xsd:anyURI and <http://www.w3.org/> map to some
nodes, hence the typed literal can be manipulated as if it is a resource in
the view of nodes. The problem is that the typed literal cannot be
represented as the subject of a triple.

I don't know if it is useful to link http://www.w3.org/ as in the following
example..

[] foaf:homepage <http://www.w3.org/> .
<http://www.w3.org/> foaf:sha1
"1480931ce0e2f1e89f05cf763390fbc57254724a"^^xsd:hexBinary .

If I treat the node <http://www.w3.org/> as if it is a blank node, it would
become..

[] foaf:homepage [ foaf:sha1
"1480931ce0e2f1e89f05cf763390fbc57254724a"^^xsd:hexBinary . ] .

Someone has a homepage that has a SHA1 sum
"1480931ce0e2f1e89f05cf763390fbc57254724a".

> There is a larger issue here, which is that of the relationship between
> RDF's built-in notion that resource nodes can have URIs, and its
> property-based
> mechanism for datatyping some literals as being URIs. I think there is
> reasonable case that some future (hypothetical!) version of RDF could
> do
> things differently, eg. by representing URIs as properties. I expect
> that
> would create a lot of work at the model theory layer, and might not be
> worthwhile.
> But right now, RDF doesn't have a very natural idiom for describing more
> than
> one URI for the same resource. You either have to use OWL, and describe
> two resources as being 'sameAs', or you have to use properties such as
> dc:identifier, with URI values (as strings? as resource nodes?). The
> former is a little awkward, especially in RDF/XML notation. The latter
> lacks well-established
> conventions, eg. regarding use of datatyping, and could result in
> information
> being hidden from RDF-based data merging tools.
>
> To be clear, there really is nothing wrong with that FOAF example. It is
> compatible
> with the FOAF spec, the RDF semantics, RDFS and RDF/XML syntax.
> Using...
> <foaf:workplaceHomepage
>> rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#anyURI">http://www.w3..org/</foaf:workplaceHomepage>
> ...in the present day would hide information from RDF tools, since it
> would
> fail to merge with other information that attached properties to a
> resource node with URI http://www.w3.org/

In this sense, the RDF tools treat the nodes as some resources that can be
dereferenced...

> Try it and see:
>
> <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS"
> href="http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/home.rss" />
>
> http://www.w3.org//Overview-about.rdf
>
> Actually if you look at those 2 files, you'll see in the RSS feed that
> the W3C homepage URL is hidden as a string literal in an rss:link
> property.

RSS 1.0 or even RSS 1.1 is just a direct translation from RSS 0.9x... and
non-RDF RSS people have already given up RSS 1.x versions.. they think that
RDF/XML is too complex to understand.. they would prefer the newer version
RSS 2.0 that is Really Simple Syndication.

Anyway, rss:link is better than foaf:homepage in my own view, though you
have your design rationale with foaf:homepage.