Re: Developers Guide to Semantic Web Toolkits for different Programming Languages

From: Richard Newman <r.newman@reading.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 18:38:44 +0000
To: semantic-web@w3.org, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>

I would suggest that saying "Lisp" is a little like saying "C/C++/Java"
-- the syntax and many of the ideas are the same, but there are some
very real differences in fundamental principles (e.g. Lisp-1/Lisp-2 in
the "Lisp" family). One doesn't program in "C/C++/Java", and one
doesn't program in "Lisp", either. Wilbur is a Common Lisp SW toolkit.

The counter-argument is that "Lisp" is a common shorthand for "Common
Lisp", but it's not something that strikes me as correct in the context
of a document intended for public reference, particularly when there
may be Scheme implementations of Semantic Web libraries[1].

-R

[1] the only mention I remember is
<http://www.mindswap.org/~katz/Talks/2003/01/XSLT-Project/slide8
-0.html>, so this should be read as "may be (in future)".