Re: How will the semantic web emerge

I don't think this is necessarily the use of rdf:type that the OO vs.
duck type distinction is really about.  If all you mean to do by
identifying something as being of a given type is to indicate that it is
a member of a set of things having a common characteristic associated
with the set (and this certainly is the semantics of rdf:type),
"thiefness" in this case, that by itself doesn't stress the alternatives
too much.  But are you also going to describe :p as being blue by saying

   :p rdf:type x:blueThing.

as being 6 feet tall by saying

   :p rdf:type x:sixFeetTallThing.

and so on?  Most of the time, people are bundling a whole lot more into
the notion of "type" than simple set-inclusion semantics, and that's
where the problems often arise.  For example, most people would use

   :p ex:color "blue";

(or some datatyped variant) in the first example instead of using
rdf:type, and what they have in mind when they make that distinction is
often very significant.

At the same time, a slightly different interpretation of the example
does get into the OO vs. duck type distinction.  Suppose the two
statements in question are

   :p rdf:type x:thief.

and the other is

   :p rdf:type y:honest.

(because two people are making the statements, they each use their own
type systems, x and y).  Now the issue isn't about which authority to
trust, it's about what type system to use, and I needn't use either one,
or I could use both.  After all, the same person might be a thief
according to one person's type system (say, that used by the music
industry) and honest according to another's (say, that used by the
American Civil Liberties Union) without contradiction;  and all the
other data about that person might be exactly the same.

--Frank