Re: Basic Questions about RDF semantics

Carlos F. Enguix wrote:

> Hi all, I hope I find somebody to help me understand more about RDF
> semantics…
> I am reading the RDF Semantics documents and I do have clear some things.
> Is it an RDF graph set theoretic based in other words an RDF graph per
> ser contains a set of triples and not a bag or multiset?
> I run the validator against some simple examples and come up it is not
> set-based:
>
> I parse the following basic example derived from the JENA tutorial:
>
> <rdf:RDF
>     xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
>     xmlns:vcard="http://www.w3.org/2001/vcard-rdf/3..0#" >
>
>   <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://carlosf.enguix.name">
>     <vcard:FN>Carlos F. Enguix</vcard:FN>
>     <vcard:N rdf:nodeID="A0"/>
>   </rdf:Description>
>
>   <rdf:Description rdf:nodeID="A0">
>     <vcard:Family>Enguix</vcard:Family>
>     <vcard:Given>Carlos F.</vcard:Given>
>     <vcard:Given>Carlos F.</vcard:Given>
>   </rdf:Description>
> </rdf:RDF>
 >

> And the validator gives me:

[snip result showing to arcs with vcard:Given property]

> Which for me it does not make sense having repeated Given name. Being
> set based the RDF validator would have detected an inconsistency.

This is a small bug in the validator I think, it should have drawn
only one arc in the picture (apparently it does not unify identical
literals). However, it is not inconsistent or otherwise an error to
have two identical statements in your RDF data, it is merely redundant.

Jeen
--
Jeen Broekstra          Aduna BV
Knowledge Engineer      Julianaplein 14b, 3817 CS Amersfoort