Re: RDF, RDFS, and OWL language constructs

From: Hans Teijgeler <hans.teijgeler@quicknet.nl>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:31:12 +0200
To: <semantic-web@w3.org>
Cc: "Christiansen Thore" <tore.r.christiansen@dnv.com>, "Valen-Sendstad, Magne" <magne.valen-sendstad@dnv.com>, "Leal, David" <david@cedarlon.demon.co.uk>, "Paap, Onno" <onno.paap@ezzysurf.com>, "Matthew West" <matthew.west@shell.com>
Hi Frank!

Thanks for the help!

It seems to me that we have a divide between two Semantic Webs:

*	RDF + RDFS + OWL Full (the cumulation I mentioned: "OWL Full
contains all the OWL language constructs and provides free, unconstrained
use of RDF constructs.")
*	OWL DL and its subset OWL Lite

There is a lot in OWL DL that I like, but using OWL DL means de facto
throwing away RDF-RDFS (right?), and that seems not so nice.

It appears to me that this divide now forces us to make a very important
choice between the two, where I had expected a smooth upgrade path RDF >
RDFS > OWL Lite > OWL DL > OWL Full. Too logical (or naive), I presume.

Is there any way, e.g. a header, to tell the software whether you work in DL
or in Full?

Is there anything written on a migration path between the two in either
direction?

Regards,
Hans